Autopia, part of Wired Blog Network, wrote an article where they estimate that the torch produced 5,500 tons of CO2. Autopia has taken into account the air travel to 23 cities.
Here is what they didn’t take into account;
- Travel for the protesters or press
- Police vehicles used to secure the torch
- The Bus used to take the torch in Paris
- The carbon produced my the torch
- The carbon produced by all the people watching, protesting and providing security
London already has plans to make the 2012 torch relay carbon neutral.
Feel free to comment on any carbon production that I might have missed.
Photo from zoonabar